Eprom Extraction

Posts related to map selection, map location, correct map treatment.

Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:16 am

Hey Guys I'm rather new to this Forum and I've been reading,
downloading and experimenting for the last couple days (i know, Noob).

I pretty sure I get the concepts that are going on in my ecu pretty quickly. How to find
maps, how they work and how to edit them.

But one thing I dont understand is how do I get the EPROM out of my ecu and on to
my computer? Will and OBD work, or do I need to take my ECU out? :)

The "map files" are located in the EPROM, right? :think:

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 pm

No one can help?

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby Shooting » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:23 am

hananes wrote:Hey Guys I'm rather new to this Forum and I've been reading,
downloading and experimenting for the last couple days (i know, Noob).

I pretty sure I get the concepts that are going on in my ecu pretty quickly. How to find
maps, how they work and how to edit them.

But one thing I dont understand is how do I get the EPROM out of my ecu and on to
my computer? Will and OBD work, or do I need to take my ECU out? :)

The "map files" are located in the EPROM, right? :think:


ECU's are read either by OBD or BDM/Bench, most EDC ECU's have a Flash and an eeprom.
The Flash stores the Maps and the eeprom stores the immobiliser etc..
Not all ECU's are like this tho, Siemens tend to have a virtual eeprom inside the Flash.
To read by OBD you will need a programming tool like MPPS or KESS etc..

wbr

User avatar
Shooting
Diamond
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:30 am

[/quote]

ECU's are read either by OBD or BDM/Bench, most EDC ECU's have a Flash and an eeprom.
The Flash stores the Maps and the eeprom stores the immobiliser etc..
Not all ECU's are like this tho, Siemens tend to have a virtual eeprom inside the Flash.
To read by OBD you will need a programming tool like MPPS or KESS etc..

wbr[/quote]

Thank you very much for you reply.

Will a VAS5054A also get the job done? I have read it's not possible, but i have access to
ODIS Engineering. It's kind of like regular ODIS but with this version you are able to
flash ECUs not only with original VW files but also custom made files, most likely original files
edited in WINOLS or any other map editing program.

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby Shooting » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:16 pm

hananes wrote:

ECU's are read either by OBD or BDM/Bench, most EDC ECU's have a Flash and an eeprom.
The Flash stores the Maps and the eeprom stores the immobiliser etc..
Not all ECU's are like this tho, Siemens tend to have a virtual eeprom inside the Flash.
To read by OBD you will need a programming tool like MPPS or KESS etc..

wbr


Thank you very much for you reply.

Will a VAS5054A also get the job done? I have read it's not possible, but i have access to
ODIS Engineering. It's kind of like regular ODIS but with this version you are able to
flash ECUs not only with original VW files but also custom made files, most likely original files
edited in WINOLS or any other map editing program.

Tools we use here are things like MPPS & KESS and Galletto, they are the standard for most tuners.
I suggest you look at one or all of these if you want to do tuning

wbr

User avatar
Shooting
Diamond
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:46 am

Okay, done a shit load of research the last couple of days. Come to a couple of conclusions:
- Can't afford (real) Kess v2
- Can't afford (real) MPPS
- Clones are definitely NOT an option

So Galletto seems the right choice for me. Does 139€ seem legit for a Galletto V1250?
Sorry if I am bothering you with my newb questions. :lol:

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby Shooting » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:27 am

hananes wrote:Okay, done a shit load of research the last couple of days. Come to a couple of conclusions:
- Can't afford (real) Kess v2
- Can't afford (real) MPPS
- Clones are definitely NOT an option

So Galletto seems the right choice for me. Does 139€ seem legit for a Galletto V1250?
Sorry if I am bothering you with my newb questions. :lol:


Look on the official site, if it's from eBay etc then it's just a clone

wbr

User avatar
Shooting
Diamond
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am

Official Site (FG Technology) is not that good and they only offer their newest model.
I just bought one from sjk digital chiptuning, a company located in germany, I'll let you
know how it runs.

Furthermore let's say it works and I read the data from my ECU, modify it and write it.
Will the IMMO cause me any trouble? Since it's my original data just a bit modified, one
would assume not, right?

Thanks for your replies!

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby Shooting » Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:44 pm

hananes wrote:Official Site (FG Technology) is not that good and they only offer their newest model.
I just bought one from sjk digital chiptuning, a company located in germany, I'll let you
know how it runs.

Furthermore let's say it works and I read the data from my ECU, modify it and write it.
Will the IMMO cause me any trouble? Since it's my original data just a bit modified, one
would assume not, right?

Thanks for your replies!


Impossible to say as you did not tell us what car you are refering to

wbr

User avatar
Shooting
Diamond
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:43 am
Location: North Wales

Re: Eprom Extraction

Postby hananes » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:48 pm

Oh sorry my bad,

it's a VW Golf Mk 5 1.9 TDI BKC no DPF.
ECU is a EDC16.

hananes
New user
 
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:17 am
Location: Germany

Next

Return to Map Location and Addresses

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests